Monday, March 21, 2011

Week 8 - Museum Field Trip



This week we went on another field trip!!!  We went to two museums, the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture, and The Henry Art Gallery. They are both located on the University of Washington campus. I enjoyed myself tremendously. I had never been to either of those museums let alone UW campus. I know, most people my age that live in Seattle know their way around the campus, but I'm one of the few people that is still in awe as I walk through the campus and stare at the beautiful architecture. We were supposed to be paying attention to the way-finding systems, but I have to admit, it was hard not to go and just look at the art. I did take some pictures of some way finding systems.












The Henry Art Gallery was much larger than the Burke Museum, therefor the Henry Art Gallery had  more way finding systems.                                                         









This is the first way-finding system we came across. It told us which exhibits were where and which way to go. That is the purpose for these way finding systems, so that people know where to go to find these different things.















This is another way-finding system we found at the Henry Art Gallery. The picture on the left was this sign that had all this information about the tech lounge so that you know what your walking into, and if you even want to waste your time looking at it. The picture on the left was the entrance to the student tech lounge. The student tech lounge was really cool. It had a huge green screen, it looked like students were using it for making movies or something. Plus they had the nicest computers and huge TVs for viewing their projects probably. They had very nice, new equipment.








 The Henry Art Gallery also has this amazing architechure. Here is a picture of one of the hallways, it was just beautiful. The Henry Art Gallery was definitely my favorite of the two museums, I would return for sure.
The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture was much different. Maybe it was just the exhibits that were on at that time, but it seemed to be all about Indian and Asian cultures. It felt like one of those museums that you go to when your in elementary, learning about different cultures. It wasn't my favorite, I liked the Henry Art Gallery much much more. I unfortunately only took one photo in the entire museum for some reason. That tells you how interested I was, lol.  This photo was of this huge wood statue of some Asian emperor, that was all I remember reading about it. I was just really intrigued in the art, and the effort and time it took to create this masterpiece. 










Overall this field trip was very fun and educational. I actually liked looking around at the campus a little more than looking in the museums but none the less it was an awesome experience. This class has opened my eyes to all sorts of different elements of design and for that I am thankful that I chose this class, not knowing anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment